During this Holiday season, many of us are using every bit of our reserves to make Christmas Day perfect for our family and friends with hours of holiday shopping, wrapping presents, decorating our homes, trimming the tree, grocery shopping and cooking for days leading up to that Christmas meal. With all the running around, we are usually not taking care of ourselves as we usually do. During the Holidays, many of us are not getting our seven to eight hours of sleep, regular exercise, healthy food or drinking the recommended eight to ten glasses of water per day. In addition, winter is the driest of the seasons because the humidity level outside drops, the air is cold and dry, and the heat in your homes dries the air further, thus your body needs more water than usual.
In addition, stress of this season causes our stress hormones, known as cortisol levels, to increase.
“Cortisol is one of those stress hormones. Staying in a good hydrated status can keep your stress levels down. When you don’t give your body the fluids it needs, you’re putting stress on it, and it’s going to respond to that,”says Amanda Carlson, RD. “Studies have shown that being just half a liter dehydrated can increase your cortisol levels.” (WebMD.com)
Stress can also cause dehydration, and vice-versa so to break that dangerous cycle you need to drink more water than usual.
“Stress can result in many of the same responses as dehydration — increased heart rate, nausea, fatigue, headache — so if you can remain hydrated you can reduce the magnitude of the physiological responses we have to stress,” says Trent Nessler, PT, DPT, MPT, managing director of Baptist Sports Medicine in Nashville.
One way to prevent dehydration as you run your holiday errands is to bring a bottle of water with you so you’re not tempted to drink sweetened or carbonated beverages while you’re running from store to store. Drinking more water can also help the inevitable weight gain during this season, as “drinking water increases the amount of calories you burn, which is known as resting energy expenditure. In adults, resting energy expenditure has been shown to increase by 24–30% within 10 minutes of drinking water. This lasts at least 60 minutes.” (National Center for Biotechnology Information)
Buying bottled water can be expensive, not to mention the impact on the environment. What if you could have the unlimited quality and purity of bottled water right from your faucet? What if you could do away with the inconvenience, expense and waste of bottled water? What if you could reduce your carbon footprint by a non-electric kinetic force system that works quietly, efficiently and reliably without electricity? What if you could use the highest quality and pure water not just to drink but when rinsing your produce, washing your dishes, doing laundry and showering?
The Kinetico K5 Drinking Water Station is a state-of-the-art reverse osmosis system to solve even the toughest water quality challenges. The K5 is smartly designed to be convenient and economical, provide an abundant supply of high-quality water, be easy to use and maintain, and provide the best-tasting water. When you own a K5, you know you are doing all you can to provide your family with the highest water quality at the best price. Make sure to tell Santa that the K5 on your Christmas wish list!
- QuickFlo Technology. The K5 features QuickFlo® technology to deliver a strong, steady stream of high-quality water when you want it. Fact is, the K5 produces more water faster than any other comparable system so you won’t need to ration or wait for your water.
- 99% Contaminant Removal. The K5 significantly reduces more contaminants than any other drinking water treatment unit.
Customizable, Multi-Stage Filtration. You can customize the FlexFilters in your K5 according to the specific water challenges you’re facing now or that you may encounter in the future.
- EverClean® Rinse. Thanks to EverClean® Rinse, the K5 uses high quality water to clean itself which keeps the system in top working order and extends the membrane’s life.
- Exclusive Features. Additional features like the MACguard® Filter and PureMometer® Filter Life Indicator let you know when it’s time for filter changes and prevent you from pushing the filters past their capacities. Quick-disconnect filter cartridges make changing filters a snap. Our Bio-pure medical-grade filter removes 99.99% of viruses and 99.99999% of bacteria for the safest, purest and best tasting water.
When your water tastes, looks and feels better, you will be motivated to drink more water. Stress can be further aggravated with dehydration and all the symptoms that come with dehydration including fatigue, nausea, headaches, migraines, and muscle aches. How would you know if you’re dehydrated? First you’ll feel thirsty, your skin and lips will appear dry and chapped, and your urine will be dark in color with a pungent smell.
How much water is enough? It is recommended that you should try to drink between half an ounce to an ounce of water for every pound you weigh, every day. You may need more if you’re living in a hot, dry climate or you’re exercising vigorously. Other ways to reduce stress during the holidays include:
- Get as much natural light as possible by spending time outdoor or sitting near windows on sunny days.
- Exercise regularly or taking a walk which increases endorphins. “The rhythm and repetition of walking has a tranquilizing effect on your brain, and it decreases anxiety and improves sleep,” says nutrition-and-wellness expert Ann Kulze, MD.
- Get to bed early so you can achieve the recommended 7-9 hours of sleep per night. Turn off all electronics and stop eating an hour before bedtime.
- Focus on the reason for the season rather than all the details. We tend to go overboard to please others during the holidays but instead focus on the quality time spent with family and friends, being thankful for your life’s blessings and learning to say no to the endless shopping, cooking, sending cards, attending all the holiday events, and trying to please everyone.
- Forget perfection and enjoy the here and now. In other words, stop sweating the small stuff and savor the joy of the season.
The staff at Karsare Water Systems wish you and your family a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!